I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor with 10 years experience, specializing in treating trauma and the disorders that arise out of developmental trauma or neglect. My clients seek my support in particular for help with chronic pain, addictions, mood disorders and anxiety. My experience has included:
– Graduate Program Course Instructor
– Supervisor of Student Counselling Services at a private post-secondary institution
– Clinical Addictions Counsellor in a residential treatment centre in Thailand
– Program Director of a private women’s residential addiction treatment facility
– Clinical Consultant in areas of chronic pain and addiction
– Community motivational speaker on the topic of addiction recovery
How I work with clients
My greatest joy is watching my clients become more fully themselves. As a counsellor, I offer you a professional relationship that is deeply accepting and non-judgemental, but also objective and truthful. The issues that bring you to therapy likely started in the context of relationship, and so need to be healed in the context of relationship. My expertise is in creating a very specific type of relationship with you, that catalyzes healing and change. This process is unique to each person – no single approach is the right fit for everybody – so I am experienced and trained in a wide range of techniques and modalities to accommodate your specific needs.
My approach is emotion-focused, and integrates embodiment practices, and mindful self-compassion. I describe my approach as trauma-sensitive and attachment-oriented, which simply means that an exploration of family dynamics, and history of traumatic or significant experiences is often important in healing current painful patterns. I am guided by the Internal Family Systems model, and draw on a range of tools techniques to support you in healing trauma, expressing feelings and needs, and knowing yourself more deeply.