Foundations in MDMA Safety, Therapeutic Applications & Research
Foundations in MDMA Safety, Therapeutic Applications & Research
Through interactive eLearning, this course provides an in-depth summary of the pharmacology and effects of MDMA, and how it modulates neural circuits to induce changes in mood, cognition, and behaviors. Explore the MDMA-assisted psychotherapy approach and become informed on clinical protocols and trial findings. You will learn several hypotheses on how MDMA may be working in the brain during psychotherapy sessions and why this technique is being studied for treating many different mental health conditions.
This course covers safety and risks of MDMA, also known as Ecstasy, in both medical and non-medical settings. Designed by leading MDMA researchers and therapists, you will learn evidence-based information and observations from therapists who administered MDMA-assisted psychotherapy in clinical trials. If you’re a mental health professional, be sure to select our continuing education option and earn CE’s along the way!
Self-paced course includes:
- 6 hours of learning content
- Interactive eLearning modules with narration
- Interviews with psychedelic therapists, medical doctors, researchers, and neuroscientists
- Animations and detailed graphics of complex topics
- Conversations with therapists and academic researchers around special topics
- Discussion forum to engage with other learners and instructors
- Knowledge checks throughout the course
- Assignments to further advancement your knowledge and comprehension
- Downloadable course notes and narration scripts
- Downloadable reference lists with cited publications and links
- Downloadable resources documents with suggested videos, books, articles, and websites
- 1-year access to our online learning platform
- Invite to monthly speaker series and access to past event videos
- Official Psychedelic Support Certificate of Completion
Choose the Continuing Education (CE) or Continuing Medical Education (CME) option for:
- Continuing education (CE/CME) credits
- CE Certificate for licensed professionals including psychologists, therapists, social workers, etc.
- CME Certificate (AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™) for doctors, nurses, medical professionals, etc.
- See below for more information about continuing education
This course is perfect for mental health professionals, neuroscience students, and anyone interested in gaining insight into the science and therapies behind the medicines.
Module 1: A Simple Molecule with Complex Effects: MDMA Pharmacology, Effects, and Safety
- Explain how MDMA acts in the brain and body to produce psychological and physiological effects
- Assess contraindicated medical conditions and medications for MDMA use
- Describe common reactions and adverse events associated with MDMA and how risks differ between non-medical and clinical contexts
- Analyze neuroimaging studies of Ecstasy users
Module 2: Neurobiological Effects of MDMA: Brain Circuits to Behavior
- List the common subjective effects of MDMA
- Describe research findings from studies that investigated effects of MDMA on social reward, cognitive and emotional empathy, and language
- Discuss key neural circuits involved in the effects of MDMA
Module 3: Clinical Trial Findings of MDMA-assisted Psychotherapy for Treatment of PTSD and Other Psychiatric Indications
- Explain the drug development pathway for MDMA (phase 1 trials to potential New Drug Application)
- Describe phase 2 and 2 clinical trial methods, screening, and study designs of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy
- Discuss safety and efficacy findings of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder, anxiety associated with a life-threatening illness, and social anxiety in autistic adults, and how results compare to currently available treatments
Module 4: MDMA Therapeutic Approaches and Psychological Mechanisms
- Explain the methods of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy described in the MDMA Treatment Manual
- Describe possible psychological mechanisms involved during MDMA therapy
- List other indications or therapeutic approaches investigating MDMA
Webinar & Interviews
- Psychedelic Research: A Conversation on Psychiatric Indications, Mechanisms of Action, & Limitations of Trial Findings with Alan Schatzberg, MD and Boris Heifets, MD, PhD, moderated by Allison Feduccia, PhD
- Interviews with MDMA-assisted psychotherapy trial therapists Genesee Herzberg, PsyD, Evan Sola, PsyD, and Sylver Quevedo, MD
Accredited By Professional Organizations
In support of improving patient care, Psychedelic Support offers continuing education for health providers through the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the American Psychological Association (APA).
Meet your Course Instructors, Contributors, & Peer Reviewers:
Interested in the different certificate options for our courses? Read on to learn more:
Once you complete the course you will receive a Psychedelic Support Certificate of Completion. Choose this option if you are not a licensed health provider and do not need continuing education credit for your professional degree.
Once you complete the course you will receive a Psychedelic Support CE Certificate. Choose this option if you are a licensed health provider would like continuing education credit for your professional degree.
- Be sure to select the CE credit option when purchasing the course.
- Upon completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Attendance for your credits.
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by Psychedelic Support, an APA-approved CE sponsor.
- Psychedelic Support is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Psychedelic Support maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance or questions about CE, contact Psychedelic Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you complete the course you will receive a Psychedelic Support CME Certificate. Choose this option if you are a licensed health provider would like continuing education credit for your professional degree.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of CME Consultants and Psychedelic Support. CME Consultants is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for non-physicians: There are other disciplines that may accept AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ as equivalent CE or CEU for re-licensure or recertification, including, but not limited to, Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Pharm D’s, and Psychologists. It is advisable for you to verify equivalency with your specific governing body, as state boards vary in their requirements.
Credit Designation Statement
CME Consultants designates this online enduring material activity for a maximum of 7 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity is geared to meet the educational requirements of Healthcare Providers from a range of disciplines: Physicians, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Therapists, and LCSWs who will participate in or form interdisciplinary teams, or practice independently.
This activity encompasses the following desirable physician attributes: Patient Care & Procedural Skills, Medical Knowledge, Professionalism, and Practice-Based Learning & Improvement.
The presentational methods for this activity are Lecture and Small Group Discussion/Roundtable. The course content has been peer-reviewed for content validity and found to be evidenced-based, fair, balanced, and free from commercial bias.
There is no commercial support for this activity.
This activity was released for credit on November 22, 2021.
This activity was reviewed on August 25, 2022.
This activity is valid for credit through August 27, 2024.