Ethical Right Relationship in Psychedelic Therapy
Ethical Right Relationship in Psychedelic Therapy
Ethics goes beyond laws and guidelines. Ethical development requires acknowledgement of relationship. Relationship is at the heart of healing, and it is ethics that is at the heart of any healing relationship. An ethical relationship is one a client can trust.
In psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy clients are surrendering to an as yet unknown transformation. It is crucial that patients are able to trust the person who sits with them during their exploration. They need to know the person they will rely on is willing to do their very best to attune to the extra-ordinary experience with them and to provide reassurance as needed in that world, yet, at the same time, maintain a safe physical, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual container for the explorer.
This course provides a self-reflective and self-compassionate approach to Right Relationship; an internal approach which puts our focus on motivations, those deep, not always conscious urges that precede our behaviors with clients. The self-inquiry of Right Relationship complements and amplifies the external, behavioral approach of traditional ethics education (the laws, codes, and standards that guide us behaviorally.)
Who is this course for?
This course is for professionals who are interested in psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy or in assisting clients with the integration of profound experiences. This ethical approach is helpful to anyone working in therapy, and this particular course is focused on self-management and trigger management for those working with patients or clients in the field of psychedelics: psychologists, therapists, mentors, physicians, medical professionals, bodyworkers, teachers, and guides.
- Client’s ethical needs in psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.
- Common gaps in traditional Western ethical education models.
- Mindful, internal approach to ethics serves clients in psychedelic-assisted therapy.
- Ethical differences in therapy with clients who are in a non-ordinary state of consciousness and clients who are in an ordinary state of consciousness.
- Mindfulness for working ethically with vulnerable clients.
- Chart of Professional Vulnerabilities to Ethical Misconduct to identify one’s own motivations.
- Why self-compassion is a prerequisite for self-reflection.
After this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the ethical differences and special safety needs of clients in psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.
- Apply mindfulness to ethical decision making to dilemmas that may occur during psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.
- Analyze ethically precarious situations that may occur in professional/client interpersonal dynamics during psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy.
Meet your Instructor:
Online platform access: 3 Months
100% Student Satisfaction or money back guarantee
Self-paced course includes:
- Video (69 minutes)
- Downloadable Course Syllabus
- Downloadable Course Materials Booklet (29 pages)
The booklet includes includes the course slides, a chart to help identify motivations, an annotated list of ethically precarious situations in professional/client relationships, a chapter from The Ethics of Caring: Finding Right Relationship by Kylea Taylor (3400 words), and an optional suggested reading list.
- Knowledge checks
- Discussion forum to engage with other learners and instructors
- 3-months access to our online learning platform
- Invite to our monthly speaker series and access to videos from our past events
- Official Psychedelic Support Certificate
- Optional 2-hour continuing education (CE) credit for licensed professionals including psychologists, therapists, social workers, etc.
Interested in the different certificate options for our courses? Read on to learn more:
Once you complete the course you will receive a Psychedelic Support Certificate of Completion. Choose this option if you are not a licensed health provider and do not need continuing education credit for your professional degree.
Once you complete the course you will receive a Psychedelic Support CE Certificate. Choose this option if you are a licensed health provider would like continuing education credit for your professional degree.
- Be sure to select the CE credit option when purchasing the course.
- Upon completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Attendance for your credits.
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by Psychedelic Support, an APA-approved CE sponsor.
- Psychedelic Support is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Psychedelic Support maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance or questions about CE, contact Psychedelic Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.