Ketamine: Therapeutic Applications, Clinical Research, and Neural Mechanisms
Ketamine: Therapeutic Applications, Clinical Research, and Neural Mechanisms
After decades of use as an anesthetic agent, ketamine is now being applied for the treatment of mental health conditions. This modern use of ketamine is delivered through two main frameworks - a biomedical model and ketamine-assisted psychotherapy.
In this online course, we provide a comprehensive summary of ketamine’s pharmacology, safety and effects, neuroscience findings, therapeutic approaches, and risks associated with recreational use. By understanding how different doses and routes of administration affect subjective experiences and neural activity, we gain insight into how ketamine works for various psychiatric conditions and how it is used for treatments.
Throughout the learning modules, we hear from experienced clinicians, doctors, and researchers on how they prepare and treat patients with ketamine. We highlight both the pros and limitations to various approaches based on evidence-based findings.
Self-paced course includes:
- 5 hours of learning content
- Interactive eLearning modules with narration
- Interviews with ketamine therapists, medical doctors, researchers, and neuroscientists
- Animations and detailed graphics of complex topics
- Discussion forum to engage with other learners and instructors
- Knowledge checks throughout the course
- Downloadable reference lists with cited publications and links
- Downloadable resources documents with suggested videos, books, articles, and websites
- 1-year access to our online learning platform
- Invite to monthly speaker series and access to past event videos
- Psychedelic Support Certificate of Completion
Choose the Continuing Education (CE) or Continuing Medical Education (CME) option for:
- 5 hours of continuing education (CE/CME) credits
- CE Certificate for licensed professionals including psychologists, therapists, social workers, etc.
- CME Certificate (AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™) for doctors, nurses, medical professionals, etc.
- See below for more information about continuing education
This course is perfect for mental health professionals, neuroscience students, and anyone interested in gaining insight into the science and therapeutic approaches of ketamine. With over 200 publications reviewed and interviews with leading experts, the learning content is superior quality and delivered through an engaging, multimedia experience.
Module 1: Ketamine Pharmacology, Effects, and Safety
- Explain the history of ketamine from its discovery to modern-day psychiatric uses
- Describe how ketamine works in the brain to induce dose-dependent effects
- Discuss the mechanisms of action and safety profile of ketamine
- Historical uses of ketamine in medical settings
- Structure and pharmacodynamics of ketamine
- Ketamine pharmacokinetics and metabolism
- Neural effects of ketamine
- Vial signs and safety monitoring
Module 2: Ketamine Clinical Applications and Therapeutic Approaches
- Describe clinical uses of ketamine including routes of administration, dosing, and therapeutic frameworks
- Explain the state of clinical research on ketamine for psychiatric indications
- Summarize how clinicians deliver ketamine-assisted psychotherapy and training programs available for professionals to become competent, ethical providers
- Clinical applications and research
- Ketamine-assisted psychotherapy (KAP)
- Clinical process of administering ketamine
- Clinical ketamine training programs
Accredited By Professional Organizations
In support of improving patient care, Psychedelic Support offers continuing education for health providers through the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the American Psychological Association (APA).
Meet your Course Instructors, Contributors, & Peer Reviewers:
Interested in the different certificate options for our courses? Read on to learn more:
Once you complete the course you will receive a Psychedelic Support Certificate of Completion. Choose this option if you are not a licensed health provider and do not need continuing education credit for your professional degree.
Once you complete the course you will receive a Psychedelic Support CE Certificate. Choose this option if you are a licensed health provider would like continuing education credit for your professional degree.
- Be sure to select the CE credit option when purchasing the course.
- Upon completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Attendance for your credits.
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by Psychedelic Support, an APA-approved CE sponsor.
- Psychedelic Support is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Psychedelic Support maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance or questions about CE, contact Psychedelic Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you complete the course you will receive a Psychedelic Support CME Certificate. Choose this option if you are a licensed health provider would like continuing education credit for your professional degree.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of CME Consultants and Psychedelic Support. CME Consultants is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
CME Consultants designates this online enduring material activity for a maximum of 5.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Explain the history of ketamine from its discovery to modern-day psychiatric uses.
- Describe how ketamine works in the brain to induce dose-dependent effects.
- Discuss the mechanisms of action and safety profile of ketamine.
- Describe clinical uses of ketamine including routes of administration, dosing, and therapeutic frameworks.
- Explain the state of clinical research on ketamine for psychiatric indications.
- Summarize how clinicians deliver ketamine-assisted psychotherapy and training programs available for professionals to become competent, ethical providers.
This activity is geared to meet the educational requirements of healthcare providers from a range of disciplines: Physicians, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Therapists, and LCSWs who will participate in or form interdisciplinary teams, or practice independently.
This activity encompasses the following desirable physician attributes: Patient Care & Procedural Skills, Medical Knowledge, Professionalism, Interpersonal & Communication Skills, Practice-Based Learning & Improvement, and Systems-Based Practice.
The presentational methods for this activity are Lecture and Panel Discussion.
There is no commercial support for this activity.
Planners and Faculty
The planners and faculty of this activity have nothing to disclose.
November 1, 2021
This activity is valid for credit through November 1, 2023.